Who is eligible to apply
Only prisoners who can answer ‘YES’ to all 9 of the questions below will be eligible to apply.
- Are you a Cat D prisoner (male, England and Wales), or still serving a prison sentence (female)?
- Are you a ‘lifer’ or serving either an IPP sentence (England and Wales) or a fixed term sentence of 7 years plus and are you within two years of release?
- Have you begun to draw up a plan for a productive and fulfilling crime-free life after prison?
- Does your plan have the support of the two designated members of prison staff shown in Part 2 of the application form?
- Are you clear about what you need funding for?
- Is it for something other than:
a. Car or motor bike driving lessons
b. The purchase or running of a car, van, motorcycle or moped
c. Any course for which a student loan or an advanced learner loan is available for you
d. A course or equipment where the amount of money you still need to find is more than £1,500
e. Medical costs
f. Furniture or a rent deposit
g. Leisure clothing or something to support a leisure interest?
- Have you carefully checked the cost of what it is you want the money for?
- Have you looked at other possible sources of funding, in case you are not successful in your application to the Hardman Trust, or the amount awarded is less than the amount that you need?
- Have you in particular consulted The Hardman Directory, previously called the Prisoner Funder Directory?
How to apply
If, having read the 9 questions, you believe yourself to be eligible or that someone you are advising is eligible, download the application form on the left.
Return the completed form to the Director at The Hardman Trust, PO Box 108, Newport. Isle of Wight. PO30 1YN.
Remember to include a stamped addressed envelope if you would like confirmation that your application form has been received and to keep a copy of the form so you can reference it if you are offered an interview.